Since the mid-1850's various schemes have been initiated for the provision of shared accommodation for learned societies. On 27 May 1853 the Vice-President of the Ethnological Society, G.B. Greenough, FRS, reported that the Royal Society with other learned societies was trying to obtain accommodation in the proposed building, Burlington House, at public expense. Council resolved to appoint a Sub-Committee 'to represent the claims of the society to participate in the advantages about to be conferred on science'. On 30 June of that year it was reported to Council that the Ethnological Society would be included in the application to the government. The Royal Society and other principal societies were accommodated in Burlington House but not the Ethnological Society; see A1, ff. 134, 142, 162, 188-9, 204-5.