The list below is classified by alphabetical order.

After Burton’s death Lady Burton destroyed his notebooks, manuscripts and papers but most of his working library remained (his second, the first being destroyed in a fire shortly after his marriage in 1861) as well as some manuscript material and these form the present collection which was received by the Kensington Vestry, the fore runner of the Royal Borough of Kensington, through the executors of Lady Burton’s will. The RAI acquired the Burton Library from the Royal Borough in 1954. It was able to do so through the generosity of the United Africa Company and individual donors and to repair the collection and prepare the catalogue through grants from the Bollingen Foundation, the Leverhulme Trust, and the Esperanza Trust Fund. It received a bequest of items associated with Burton in 1974 from one of his descendants, R.H. Bury. The Library, but not the bequest, was sold to the Christensen Fund in 1986 which deposited it on permanent loan in the Huntington Library, San Marino, California. For the contents of the Library see A catalogue of the Library of Sir Richard Burton, KCMG held by the Royal Anthropological Institute, 1979 compiled by B.J. Kirkpatrick.

Replies to a questionnaire circulated to Fellows asking for information on: (1) name; (2) address; (3) telephone number; (4) nationality; (5) date of birth; (6) occupation; (7) membership of other societies; (8) anthropological interests: (a) subjects, (b) areas; (9) theoretical training: (a) university or other institution, (b) details of degrees with dates, (c) other theoretical training; (10) subjects of specific investigations; on verso of envelope: (11) surname; (12) linguistic knowledge; (13) regions of which you have expert knowledge, especially from personal experience (give full particulars on separate sheet); (14) methods and techniques in which you are expert; (15) any other information. 1940.

Council on 25 May 1943 appointed a committee 'to consider plans for the observance of the centenary' of its forerunner the Ethnological Society which held its foundation meeting on 7 Feb. 1843. The centenary was held on 30 Oct. 1943 at the Royal Society where lunch was served after addresses by Prof. J.H. Hutton, President, Sir John L. Myres on 'A centenary of our work', and Lord Hailey on 'The role of anthropology in colonial development'. The afternoon session was held at the RAI, 21 Bedford Square. Short addresses on 'The future of anthropology' were given by Dr G.M. Morant, Prof. V.G. Childe, R.U. Sayce, and (Prof. Sir) Raymond Firth; tea concluded the day. See Council minutes, 23 Mar., 25 May, 5 Oct., 11 Nov. 1943, and 25 Jan. 1944, CM/72/3,f.413,/72/4,f.430,/73/1, f.422,/73/2, f.425,/73/3, f.427; and Man, July/Aug. 1943, No. 63; Sep./Oct. 1943, Nos. 8,102; Jan./Feb. 1944, Nos. 1-9 records the loyal address, and addresses read during the morning and afternoon sessions with discussions during the latter; Mar./Apr. 1944, No. 51; and Report of Council, 1943/4, JRAI, Vol. 74, 1944, p. 98.